Ebooks are becoming more and more popular with readers and authors.
These electronic books are not just more sustainable than traditional paper books but readers can also download them with a few clicks.
But there are also a few advantages for authors. You don’t need a lot of tools to publish your eBook. Just write your book and create it with an eBook creator.
An eBook creator is a simple piece of software that you can use to design your entire eBook. You can choose the layout, page style and even the cover design.
We put together a list of the best eBook creators that will help you turn your story into an eBook that your audience can read easily.
Best E-Book Creators
With the rise of the eBook, there is also a new wave of eBook creators coming onto the market. Here are some of the top creators for the layout and design of your eBook.
Scrivener is a whole writing platform which has been created by writers for authors who want to publish their eBooks.
This means that many of the Scrivener features are specifically designed with the layout of eBooks in mind.
The software allows you to write any section of your eBook and then organize the chapters later.
Scrivener is also very popular thanks to its research feature which means you can keep your citations in a consistent format.
You can choose text font, size and color, as well as the eBook format. Scrivener offers a variety of formats, including PDF and EPUB.
One feature that many eBook authors find very useful is the ability to pull writing from different places, such as certain websites and Word documents.
While Scrivener comes with a one-off fee, you will need to pay for two licenses if you want to use the creator software on both desktop and mobile.
- Easy to organize your book: You can start writing your eBook anywhere and then reorganize paragraphs, chapters and individual pages.
- Supports different output formats: Scriveners allows you to export your eBook in many different formats, including the standard EPUB file format.
- Separate licenses for mobile and desktop: You will need two licenses if you want to access Scrivener on desktop as well as mobile.
Amazon is a big player in the eBook industry, so it is just natural that they would offer a tool to help you create your own eBook.
One of the biggest advantages with Kindle Create is that the software is free to use. You can build your eBook and then publish it directly to Amazon.
- Free to use: You don’t need to pay anything for creating your eBook on Kindle Create. This is ideal when you want to build your eBook on a budget.
- Automated styling suggestions: Kindle Create automatically suggests the best layout and styling options for your e-book.
- Previews: You can easily preview your eBook and check what it looks like on eReaders, tablets and smartphones.
- Only publish for Kindle: When you create an eBook with Kindle Create, then you can only export it in a Kindle format. This means you will need to publish your book with Amazon.
- No image captions: Kindle Create doesn’t currently support image captions.
Formerly known as Lucidpress, Marq is one of the more versatile eBook creators on the market because it gives you different format options for your project.
The Marq dashboard is easy to you, and you can create a good looking eBook in a short space of time.
As you don’t need to download any software, you just store your project in the cloud which means you don’t have to worry about losing your eBook halfway through
Marq is similar to Kindle Creator as it prepares your eBook for publication. However, with the Marz platform, you can export your eBook file in different formats.
- Great variety of formation options: You can be as creative with your eBook as you like. There are plenty of different book formatting options with Marq.
- Different pricing options: You can choose from a range of different pricing plans on Marq.
- Professional eBook look: Designing an eBook with this platform can help you create a book that looks visually appealing and professional.
- Requires a reliable internet connection: As all your work is stored in the cloud, you will need a reliable internet connection to work on your eBook project.
Canva is well-known for its publishing and design software. You cannot only edit images and your marketing material, but you can also create your own eBook.
The platform is easy to use and the basic plan is free. You have access to a huge range of templates but you can also customize your book design when you upgrade to a paid plan.
- Large choice of templates: Using an eBook template means you can put your book much quicker, and it still looks great.
- Share your project: You can share your eBook with others and collaborate to improve your layout and design.
- Add eBook animations: Canva also allows you to add small animations to your eBook to make the content engaging.
- Customization options only with paid plan: You can only get access to eBook customization features with Canva’s paid plans.
Features To Look For In An Ebook Creator
You have written a fiction or non-fiction book and you want to publish it as eBook. Now what?
Before you can publish your book on an eBook publishing platform, such as Amazon, you will need to turn your written words into a good-looking eBook.
An eBook creator helps you do this easily and quickly. Here are some of the essential features that you need to look out for when you choose your eBook creator software.
Ease Of Use
You want your eBook creator to be as easy as possible to use but it should still have all the essential features.
Keep an eye out for a user-friendly interface without any pop-ups or ads. This way, you can work without any distractions.
File Output Formats
Depending on where you want to publish your eBook, you need to check that your eBook creator supports the required file output format.
It’s a good idea to pick a creator that exports your eBook file to the most common file formats, such as PDF, MOBI, HTML, EPUB and PDB.
If you want to publish your eBook in more than one language, then it’s best to work with an eBook creator that supports multiple languages.
This will allow you to write content in other languages, and even translate it while you are writing.
Some eBook platforms even provide sharing features where you can share your text with readers from other countries to get feedback.
Desktop Vs Cloud
Do you prefer to write on your desktop computer or your tablet? Or maybe you like writing on the train rather than in the study at home.
Make sure that you pick an eBook creator that allows you to write where you feel more comfortable.
If you are writing at home only and you have access to internet at all times, then a cloud-based eBook creator is ideal.
On the other hand, if you travel a lot or you want to work offline most of the time, then it’s a good idea to pick a desktop-based eBook creator that you can download.
While good eBook creators should guide you through the process of creating your own eBook, it can still give you peace of mind if support is available in case of any problems.
Check that your chosen eBook creator has a support team or a community that can answer any questions you may have.
Licensing And Trademarks
Read the terms and conditions as well as the small print with your selected eBook creator. Make sure that you keep all the rights of your book.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Writing An eBook Be Profitable?
Yes, writing and publishing an eBook can be a great way to make some money on the side.
However, you will need to make sure that you do not just publish your eBook but also spread the word about your new book on social media and other platforms.
How Many Pages Should Be In An eBook?
The average number of pages for an eBooks varies depending on the layout, design and the number of words.
Most eBooks have a word count of 50,000 to 100,000 words. This is between 152 and 300 eBook pages.
How Do I Sell My eBook?
Before you can sell your eBook, you will need to write the book and prepare it for publication with an eBook creator.
You can then publish your eBook on any of the popular eBook publishing platforms, such as Amazon.
Whether you use a basic eBook creator or you want to translate your eBook into multiple languages with your writing software, make sure that the creator has all the features you need for making your eBook look professional.