English is one of the most common languages in the world yet it helps to have a great learning app if you need to gain a further understanding.
With so many different ways to learn another language, it may be best to try before you commit and understand which techniques work best for you.
That could well be taking a class though using a learning app on your smartphone gives you the convenience of a learning tool at your fingertips.
You would still need to learn regularly yet the onus is on you to access the app and put it to good use on a regular basis.
Whether you want to improve your current understanding of the English language or even learn from scratch, learning apps will help.
Here is a rundown of the best free English learning apps.
Top of the pile when it comes to most categories of language learning apps is Duolingo and that should come as little surprise.
There are over 500 million users registered on the app and that’s largely down to how fun and, frankly, addictive it is.
The premise is relatively straightforward, each lesson hones down your language skills in speaking, grammar, and listening with a range of activities.
All in the course of one lesson you could read, speak out aloud and type out the correct grammar of English and build from there.
- Daily Streaks – The streak you can gain from learning each day can become an addictive feature in its own right, compelling you to learn and creating a great habit.
- Progress Report – To find out how well you are doing you get a little progress report at the end of each lesson with some statistics and then a roundup at the end of the week.
For a more specialized English language learning app, Hello English comes highly recommended.
The coverage is extensive with translation coming with vocabulary, grammar, reading, spelling, and speaking skills.
Alas, this is not the app to learn English from scratch as users are expected to pick up basic English spelling and structure.
As soon as you start using the app, you will be asked to choose your native language, there are 22 to choose from and then you can go from there.
- Preliminary Test – After just 20 questions, the app will confirm your current level of English to create the best learning plan.
- Interactive Games – Similar to Duolingo, by playing interactive games you will be rewarded by unlocking more difficult content and advanced tests.
Lingbe goes a step further than most apps in that it is a language exchange system that goes a bit further than many.
In order for a user to learn English, they have to spend some time talking in their native language to help someone else speak their native tongue.
Imagine it as an exchange in the purest form where you are, not just, a learner but a teacher as well.
That can be a rewarding experience and a fun way to really learn the English language as well as its culture and even make friends in the process.
- Calling Button – You can set yourself to be available or unavailable to take calls and even rate the caller to connect with them again if you want to.
- Chat Section – If the caller liked your interaction too then they will appear in that Chat section and as a friend you can talk to regularly.
English learners from scratch and those looking to up their understanding should try Memrise.
This is an intuitive system for learning a language which soon becomes addictive as it is so much fun to use.
There is a huge variety of courses to choose from which have all been created by the Memrise community.
This is a crowd-sourced learning platform so you can enjoy the fact that it has been created by those who have the best of intentions to help users learn.
- Learn With Locals – Perhaps the best way to learn English is to speak it like a local and the Learn With Locals feature introduces conversational English.
- Games – While there are more serious ways of learning English, the games that the Memrise app uses do help an individual’s understanding of the language.
Another app that uses native speakers in the community, just like Memrise, is Busuu.
Again, you will have to confirm your own difficulty level to begin with but after that it should be plain sailing.
You can chat along with fellow users as the app becomes more of a social media platform than a learning experience.
There is also another exchange as you can provide feedback to those helping you to learn English or get feedback yourself from advanced English learners.
- Downloadable Lessons – Learn at your leisure with lessons you can download to learn offline.
- Conversational Speaking – Use the chat feature to practice speaking in a conversation with an English speaker.
With a strong focus on grammar and vocabulary, you cannot go wrong with Babbel.
This is the ideal app for learning how to speak English in a conversation by repeating phrases to learn them off by heart.
There are four objectives with Babbel that will help you to learn English; Picture Recognition, Sound Recognition, Fill In The Blanks, and Spelling.
By working on the quality of your English, a user can soon pick up the language effectively.
Language learning that works
- Learn from the App
- Live online language classes
- 10 million subscriptions sold
Real-World Topics – Instead of simply learning the odd phrase, learn the statements that can help order food and introduce yourself.
Progress Monitoring – With a Custom Goal System and set benchmarks, you can learn at your own pace and find out how well you are doing.
Perhaps one of the more traditional free English learning apps is Rosetta Stone.
The focus here is on teaching English as you would as a child learning the language from scratch.
That means learning phrases and words which is then supplemented by tutoring sessions, bonus content, core lessons, and live streaming.
Rosetta Stone is a great way to learn English as it is so immersive with plenty of different ways to learn so you can find your own favored methods.
- Native Speaking – Practice your English by chatting to native speakers in an immersive method.
- Live Streaming – Catch a live stream to get a current understanding of the English language.
LingoDeer has been created by language teachers so you can rely on the curriculum as it is based on grammar.
That creates a deep understanding of the English language with detailed explanations of how the language works.
With effective learning techniques, a user can work at their own pace by targeting their weak areas and from built-in flashcards.
With LingoDeer, there is less chance to flounder at English as the app leaves little room for guessing.
- HD Audio – Learn your English lessons when they are voiced by native English speakers
- Engaging Stories – There are hundreds of stories that can bring in cultural facts to help a user grasp new expressions and vocabulary
If you enjoy reading and want to learn English then there is only one English learning app for you and that is Beelinguapp.
By reading or listening to songs, news, and audiobooks, the app uses the neuroscience that is language acquisition.
This is a great way to gain an understanding of English while quickly becoming fluent.
The app uses the parallel texts method which helps the brain naturally learn languages in context.
- Side-By-Side Reading – With the chosen text in your native language, alongside the English translation, you can quickly learn.
- Wide Choice Of Books – If there are books you have always wanted to read then choose them in the library, though there are some you have to pay for.
You can learn English through stories and Xeropan uses a make-believe time travel story to help you learn.
Strictly no boring lessons are allowed in this interactive, award-winning app that glides a user through studying English.
There are lectures that are specifically designed to particular objectives with videos that involve real-world situations.
This gives Xeropan a more playful means of learning English with audio tracks, interactive activities, and videos that can become really enjoyable.
- Different Levels Of Understanding – The app can work for a child who is learning English for the first time or a seasoned individual who has a certain proficiency level.
- Fun Exercises – With chatbot conversations, interactive videos, and weekly lessons, you can quickly progress your English skills.
Another popular free app for English learning is Improve English which includes smaller lessons.
This is as comprehensive as it can be if the user commits to several lessons to build up their vocabulary and learn new words.
There is even an algorithm behind the word games to enhance a user’s grasp of spelling, new vocabulary, grammar, and phrases.
For anyone who has a small grasp of English but wants to build up their reading, speaking, vocabulary, and writing skills then Improve English can work really well.
- Small Lessons – An effective way of learning is through bite-sized lessons so you can fit them into your daily schedule
- Practice Games – Learn by having fun with practice games that include some excellent content
For those individuals who want to achieve a relatively good score in an English entrance exam then free English learning apps are a great way to do so.
Most apps allow you to learn at your own pace and at your own leisure to build up an understanding of the English language.
There are various ways to learn including games, real-life conversations with native-speakers, or some simple exercises.
Each method can quickly become addictive and you can quickly learn new vocabulary, phrases, reading, writing, and speaking skills.
Many of these apps offer trials so you can try them for a few weeks to find out which ones work best.
That could be a truly popular app like Duolingo and Babbel or more of a niche app that has a more exciting way of learning.
If you do want to track your learning then many apps come with progress features and you can always find a test to do.
Perhaps the easiest way to test your English is simply to immerse yourself in it and spend hours on end talking to a native speaker and putting your learning to the test.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Other Ways Are There To Learn English?
You may not even want to learn English as a language through an app and there are other ways to do so.
Try watching your favorite films or TV shows on a streaming service but set the subtitles up in English so the familiar lines are replicated.
Even having the film or TV show dubbed in English can help replicate the sounds and content of the dialogue.
There is also the possibility of connecting with native English speakers to learn directly from them.
What Are The Best Tips To Learn English As A Language Quickly?
First, grab some books and try to take the time to read them to get a basic understanding of how to read English.
When you do pick up some new vocabulary, write it down for future reference so you can practice it over and over again.
Try to listen to some English-speaking podcasts and you could slow it down to pick up the words more easily.
Perhaps the best tip to learn English is simply to immerse yourself in the language by visiting an English-speaking country.