We negotiate daily, even if we might not realize it. But, how much of it is really effective?
In his game-changing
Is the Chris Voss
It’s a great blend of strategy and entertainment. But, should you purchase it, and is it right for you? Read our Chris Voss
Who Is Chris Voss?
Chris Voss is an American author, academic, and businessman. He used to work as the lead international kidnapping negotiator for the FBI and a hostage negotiation representative for the FBI’s National Security Council’s Hostage Working Group.
During his 24-year-long career at the FBI, Chris learned negotiation skills from the FBI, Harvard Law School, and Scotland Yard. He’s also taught business negotiation at renowned schools such as Harvard University.
He’s a famous speaker at corporate events, where he turns his negotiation expertise into tips that can be applied to the business world.
In 2008, he established The Black Swan Group, a company that solves business communication problems and offers negotiation training for businesses and individuals.
Chris has shared his negotiation insights with the public in various popular publications, such as Fast Company, Time, Fortune, and Business Insider.
He’s also co-written a book entitled, Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It. Other works of his include Beacons of Leadership: Inspiring Lessons of Success in Business and Innovation.
Chris has a
Overview of the Class
By the end of this course, you’ll improve your communication skills, have mastered persuasion and will know a lot more about human nature.
This course contains 18 video lessons comprising three hours and four minutes of content. Here’s a summary of what you can expect from Chris Voss’s lessons.
A Fresh Take On Negotiation
Negotiation isn’t supposed to be a battle! Chris views effective negotiations as collaborations built on empathy instead of hostile battles.
In his video lessons, he’ll teach you techniques such as mirroring to gain information during your negotiation and put your counterpart at greater ease.
Chris Shares His Personal Techniques
Chris talks people through some nail-biting hostage negotiation situations that he’s personally been involved in, such as when two men took hostages at a bank in Brooklyn in, and what techniques he used to navigate the situation.
He also provides interesting, little-known information, such as black swans. These are bits of information that you don’t know until you’re in a negotiation situation. Chris teaches you how to use them to your advantage.
Some video lessons in this
For example, in one lesson, he plays the role of a father who doesn’t want his teenage daughter to spend the weekend with her boyfriend, a guy the father doesn’t like. Chris teaches the tips and strategies to help the father get his daughter on his side.
Real-life scenarios help to bring his points home and make them applicable to situations you’re likely to encounter in your life.
Tips On How To Negotiate Effectively
- How to gain the upper hand during negotiations so you can have an advantage and get what you want.
- How to use the word “no” in a powerful way. It’s a misconception to think that negotiating is about saying “yes.”
- How to frame your case so that you better understand your counterpart’s emotional perspective.
- How to bargain with diplomacy and tact.
- How to study your counterpart’s body language and speech patterns to gain more information during a negotiation.
He also focuses on some crucial strategies to use during a negotiation, such as:
- Labels: These are observations of feelings that neutralize your opponent’s negative feelings.
- Tone and inflection: It’s not solely about your words but how you say them!
Pros and Cons
Now that we’ve looked at the main lessons you can learn from the Chris Voss MastetClass, here are some pros and cons to consider.
MasterClassprovides a fantastic way to get insight from Chris and see how he has dealt with negotiations in his career.
- The course provides real-life situations, which makes the course versatile and easy to understand.
- It provides captivating and exciting workshops and case studies that bring the theory to life.
- Chris is an excellent communicator and speaker, which makes the video lessons engaging.
- To make the course even more relatable, Chris offers tips on how to negotiate for a pay increase at work. The real-life scenarios make the course more relatable to a broader audience.
- Chris explains why he teaches negotiation and how he thinks it can change your life.
MasterClassis approximately three hours long, which doesn’t feel like enough.
- The workbook that accompanies these video lessons isn’t comprehensive.
- The forum for this
MasterClasscourse is quieter than other courses, so there’s not much of a chance to connect with others who have taken the course.
How Much The Class Costs
You can’t purchase the Chris Voss course on its own.
You can learn more about the different subscription plans available by reading our guide, “MasterClass Pricing”.
Once you subscribe to this learning platform, you’ll be able to enjoy many other courses. There are currently more than 150 courses available that are taught by famous, skilled, and renowned instructors.
They teach members about various topics, such as cooking, music, business, and wellness. Some renowned instructors include Christina Aguilera, Daniel Pink, Garry Kasparov, and Annie Leibovitz.
To find out if
To find out more, read “Best MasterClass Courses”.
There have been many comments from people who have completed the Chris Voss
- The content is filled with valuable information. “Chris is a true master because not a single word was random in his
MasterClass. Every word was rooted in specific experience and learning”.
- The content is game-changing. “I took this class, and it changed my life. I feel so powerful now in any situation”.
- The course shows Chris’s negotiation in action. “Chris goes over all the points in his book, but you get to see and hear him use the techniques”.
- The course might not be as detailed as his books. “Chris’s books are better to use because they offer more details on the techniques, and you fully control the pace at which you learn”.
If you want to improve the way you communicate and negotiate, you should definitely take the Chris Voss
It will help you in various situations in your life, helping you to feel more confident about your social and business interactions.
In this review, we’ve looked at everything you need to know about this course so you can decide if it’s worth it or not before purchasing a