One of the most critical aspects of marketing is communication. If you’ve ever heard the adage: “the pen is mightier than the sword”, you’ll definitely know its significance.
However, unfortunately, even the best-written words go unread unless accompanied by some enticing visuals.
These visuals can encompass a range of formats, for instance, an animated GIF or a simple picture. Alternatively, something more sophisticated like a visual storytelling content format like data print graphics.
Regardless of the format, you’ll find more people reading your words when you have something to hook them with, whether this involves capturing something on screen as a video recording or an image.
This is where screen recording software comes into play. Two of the most popular sites include Screencast-O-Matic Vs Camtasia; although, which one is better?
With all this in mind, this article will explore the similarities and differences between Screencast-O-Matic and Camtasia.
Why Should You Use Screen-Recording Software?
Anyone can use a screen-recording free tool, however, it can be especially beneficial to marketers.
Those who utilize this software in both their external and internal communication efforts are better positioned to not only impress their target audience but also their managers.
Below, you will find some advantages and uses of using screen-recording software in your marketing efforts.
1. Internal Explanations
Sometimes, the best way to explain complex matters is through visuals. Whether this is to peers or customers, recording a quick walkthrough video is ideal.
2. Internal Training
Recording a simple training video is ideal for internal training purposes.
Whether this is looking at running regular reports or even an onboarding video – it is a great way to teach your peers the way of the ropes, as well as future new employees.
3. Product Demonstrations
From product featurettes or ad hoc personalized sales demonstrations, screen recording software can be used by marketers for services or products that would be ideal for their target audiences or customers.
4. Better Explanations/ Directions
If you’re organizing an event or a conference, it could be worthwhile creating animated directions informing your attendees about the location of the venue.
Not only is this likely to improve the overall attendance rate but your guests will be impressed by your professionalism and skills.
The best part? With screen-recording software; this couldn’t be easier!
5. Animated GIFs
Animated GIFs are a great way to add some character to your videos. Besides being a fun addition, they are also great at demonstrating how a particular software feature works.
Regardless of how sophisticated your company or marketing team is, screen recording software is a great way to enhance both your internal and external communication efforts.
What Are The Best Screen Recording Softwares?
There are dozens of screen recording software available on the market, each containing slightly different features, although they all share screen recording capabilities.
That being said, there are a few notable softwares that stand out from the crowd. These include:
- OBS Studio
Screencastify, OBS Studio, and Bandicam are some solid screen recording softwares, however, they’re better suited for niche productions (for instance, Bandicam is primarily used in video game and professional environments).
As a result of their niche specialty, we will be putting Screencast-O-Matic and Camtasia up against one another to see which one comes out victorious.
While these are both great softwares for marketers in terms of functionality, they both also contain their strengths and weaknesses.
Without further ado, below, we will explore everything you need to know about the two softwares.
To assess both of these softwares, we will be using several categories to determine the best screen recorder.
By using pre-set criteria, we hope that this will clearly demonstrate the differences between the softwares, to help you make an informed decision on which is better suited for you and your business intelligence.
The categories go as followed:
- User-friendliness – Specifically, this looks at how easy the powerful tool is to operate. For instance, can it be used across multiple devices like mobile devices etc.? How much effort is required to implement the recording solution?
- Available features – This will explore the available features, whether or not they are useful, and whether they cover screen recording requirements.
- Speed – Sometimes, you may need to screen record at unexpected moments. Therefore, having a tool that can load efficiently and quickly is ideal.
- Price – This looks at whether or not the software is of good value for what you’re receiving.
Created by TechSmith, Camtasia consists of a two-in-one video editing software and screen recorder that can be used on both PC and Mac products.
With this software, you are able to record your screen, along with your microphone, system crystal clear audio inputs, and webcam.
On top of this, you can edit and embellish your videos and then use the video exported feature and share them directly from the software.
That being said, this software isn’t for everyone. Below, we will be looking at the strengths and weaknesses of Camtasia video software.
- Best post-capture editing – Most screen recorders have one purpose: to record your screen. However, Camtasia goes above and beyond by providing you with multiple features that make it an impressive video editing software, too.
While it isn’t advisable to import important regular video camera content straight to Camtasia to edit (instead, you should use video editing software such as Adobe Premiere), it is a great tool if you’re looking to create professional looking videos using screen recording materials.
In addition to this, you are also able to add/cut/re-mix sections, slice your capture, and mix new media into your project.
Plus, you can also include text boxes, callouts, transitions, pointers, effects, title screens, and much more.
- Many import options – In addition to its post-capture capabilities, Camtasia also offers a wide range of file formats and codecs – allowing you to incorporate a wide range of media.
- Lots of layers (tracks) for editing – Camtasia offers various multi-track options. These allow you to incorporate many objections (for instance, images, audio clips, and video layers) all within the multi track video editor software.
A feature that stands Camstasia out from the crowd is its ability to change the properties of each layer individually.
- Could be considered to have too many features – Sometimes, when using the software, you get an overwhelming feeling from the sheer amount of features available – with lots to learn in order to use these powerful tools effectively. With so much functionality, first-time users may feel frustrated in their attempts to use the software.
Perhaps in an attempt to prevent this, TechSmith has developed a detailed tutorial library providing step-by-step instructions on how to make the most out of the tools available.
- Slow response – As a result of Camtasia’s powerful functionality, you may find yourself waiting (and more times than not, not patiently) for the screen recording software to generate. It doesn’t matter if you’re using a high-specced laptop, the startup and load time are sluggish, making it frustrating to work with.
A one-time fee of $249.
The Camtasia individual online license can be uploaded on two computers (however, they have to share the same user login credentials).
However, that being said, while it goes under the preface of containing a one-time listening fee, there are hidden costs to consider.
For instance, if you’re looking to upgrade to the latest version of the software, you’re going to need to pay $99 – this is usually recommended every two years.
Therefore, it could be considered a product that costs $125 a year.
Similar to Camtasia, Screencast-O-Matic is also a screen recording and video editing platform that takes visual collaboration to the next level.
With more than 9 million users worldwide, it is a trusted brand for video creation.
Screencast-O-Matic provides communication and enables its users to connect with easy-to-use features and functional video editing tools.
It is one of the easier software to use, with powerful tools allowing you to screen, record, and capture material. Plus, the standard remote access features can be used on both Mac and PC platforms.
Although, like Camtasia, it doesn’t go without its flaws. With this in mind, below we will explore the different strengths and weaknesses of this screen recording platform.
- Scripted recordings – Having a script can be extremely beneficial when producing screen recordings. Not only does this prevent you from rambling but it also ensures that you cover all your key points. Screencast-O-Matic allows you to do just this. The software provides a great script functionality where you are able to type or upload a script and then record your voice straight over it. Once done, simply record the screen actions to match the script – it is that simple! This is a unique feature that sets Screencast-O-Matic apart from the crowd.
- Balances functionality and ease perfectly – While Screencast-O-Matic may not be as feature-rich as Camtasia, it does offer enough functionality to please the average user. Not only is it functional but it is well-balanced to make it extremely easy to use. In fact, it doesn’t even require any prior training to use all the features. However, if you do get stuck, there are some training videos (these are similar to Camtasia) that provide you with in-depth information about the different tools. Having said that, you shouldn’t face any issues since they are pretty straightforward.
- Affordable – One of the benefits of Screencast-O-Matic is that it is extremely affordable for what you’re receiving. This means if you’re looking to benefit from the rich features of Camtasia, but prefer the Screencast-O-Matic interface, then you could get away with purchasing both options.
While there is a free version available, you are limited to 15-minutes of videos and it doesn’t provide the full functionality.
To make the most out of all the features, you will need to pay. However, you don’t have to worry about breaking the bank since it only costs $18 a year.
Sometimes, the price can come across as misleading, since many people believe there to be better options.
However, don’t be satisfied, you’ll receive more than your money’s worth with this product; boasting both functionality and efficiency, making it one of the best screen recording softwares.
- Operates in the background – While Screen-O-Matic has a faster start-up time than Camtasia, it will continue operating in the background even after closing the window. Although this keeps the software in a ready state, it also uses a considerable amount of computer power in order to handle it, which could result in slowing down your computer. Therefore, you may want to look at closing the app manually by selecting the ‘hidden icons’ tray feature of the taskbar.
- Lack of features – If you’re looking for feature-rich software, then Screen-O-Matic may not be the choice for you. However, that being said, there is a range of tools that can help you enhance your video recordings – great for those looking to simply get the job done.
$18 per year.
Screencast-O-Matic Vs Camtasia
After considering all the above-mentioned factors, the best screen recording platform would have to be Screencast-O-Matic.
Due to Camtasia’s start-up issues and slight speed annoyances, it gives Screencast-O-Matic a one-up over the platform.
That being said, both are fantastic tools, providing the necessary features to create screen recordings.
If you’re looking for more polished and feature-rich software, then you may prefer Camtasia.
At the end of the day, it comes down to your personal preferences and requirements when looking at the best screen recording software.
Both Screencast-O-Matic and Camtasia are extremely powerful software that can not only be used to create broadcast quality videos but also to edit, embellish, and upload your content.
Both software is similar in nature, however, the most notable differences come down to time saving features and pricing.
On one hand, Camtasia provides an abundance of powerful interactive features; however, at an expensive price. Whereas, Screencast-O-Matic may be lacking in features but it is extremely affordable.
Therefore, the best software simply comes down to personal preference and what you’re looking to get out of the software.