If you love the idea of learning from the most successful people in the world directly from your device, MasterClass is an appealing prospect.
This online learning platform gives you access to hundreds of video-based courses taught by famous and renowned instructors. Naturally, just like any service, to be able to enjoy the video and course content, you have to pay for a subscription.
So, how much does MasterClass cost? MasterClass costs $180 per year. However, there are different subscription plans to know about that give you different levels of device access to the content.
Read our guide to MasterClass pricing so you can find out which plan is best for you. We’ll break them down to make it easy for you to choose the most suitable one for you in terms of cost and expectations.
MasterClass Subscription Plans
There are three MasterClass subscription plans. These are:
- Individual, which costs $180 per year
- Duo, which costs $240 per year
- Family, which costs $276 per year
All the plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a refund if you’re unhappy with the MasterClass experience. MasterClass doesn’t offer a free trial in which you can try out the service before committing to a subscription.
You can sidestep this issue by accessing free samples of the different courses when viewing them on the MasterClass website. This can help you determine if the platform is good for you.
You’ll see sample video lessons for every course, which can help you to get a taste of what MasterClass is about.
While there are different plans, they all share some common features. These include:
- Access to more than 150 classes across all 11 subject categories.
- You can watch lessons on different devices, such as your smartphone, tablet, or TV.
- All the subscription plans give you access to additional content and workbooks for every course.
- Members-only forums where you can engage with other people doing the course.
- Access to MasterClass sessions. These enable you to work on activities in a structured curriculum within 30 days.
- You can cancel your subscription at any time. To find out how, read our guide, “How To Cancel Masterclass Subscription”.
Let’s explore the three subscription plans in greater detail to see what they offer.
The Individual subscription costs $180 per year, which is about $15 per month.
It gives you access to all courses available on the MasterClass platform, and you can watch the video lessons on various devices, such as your TV or smartphone, which makes learning on the go convenient.
However, you won’t be able to download MasterClass courses for offline viewing on this subscription plan. You also don’t have the chance to access the courses on multiple devices simultaneously – you can only access MasterClass on one device.
This plan is ideal for you if you usually use one device, such as your smartphone, and want an easy way to stream video lessons.
The Duo MasterClass subscription costs $240 per year. It allows you to access content on two devices from one account. You can download courses for later viewing offline and stream content on two devices simultaneously.
This is a suitable plan for couples who want to enjoy a MasterClass subscription together. It’s also worth it if you don’t want to be restricted to just one device because it’s impractical for your lifestyle.
The MasterClass Family subscription is almost the same as the Duo, except that it costs $276 and gives you access to the courses on six devices simultaneously.
This is perfect for larger households as members can watch different content at the same time from the same MasterClass account.
Basically, with this plan, you’re paying an extra $36 to be able to stream content on six devices, so if you don’t have other people who would want to access the content, it might make more sense for you to purchase a Duo subscription instead.
Are There MasterClass Discounts?
It’s worth checking for MasterClass discounts, usually offered around holidays such as Father’s Day.
Another way to get a MasterClass discount is to sign up for the MasterClass for Businesses program, which can give you 5-35 percent off your annual subscription (see also ‘Your Guide To The Best MasterClass Discounts, Deals, And Promos‘) (see also ‘Your Guide To The Best MasterClass Discounts, Deals, And Promos‘). You will have to contact MasterClass Sales to find out more.
Can You Purchase Individual MasterClass Courses?
Although MasterClass used to allow people to buy single courses, they don’t anymore. You have to purchase the complete annual subscription to start streaming all the courses you’re interested in taking.
To learn more about the classes offered, read our guide, “Best MasterClass Courses”.
Pros and Cons of MasterClass
Is a MasterClass subscription worth it for you? Here are some of its pros and cons.
- MasterClass offers classes that are taught by legendary tutors across all subject categories, such as chess champion Garry Kasparov, tennis champion Serena Williams, world-renowned singer Mariah Carey, and others.
- The MasterClass video lessons are produced professionally, which helps to make them engaging and easy to watch.
- MasterClass offers various lessons on many subjects, including cooking, sports, gaming, business, music, and graphic design.
- You can access the classes on different devices, such as your phone, tablet, or TV, making the service quite accessible.
- MasterClass isn’t accredited, so it can’t replace traditional education.
- The classes are pre-recorded, so there are no Q&A live sessions with instructors.
- Some MasterClass courses are more focused on the personal stories and anecdotes of the instructors than technical advice or tips.
To learn more about what MasterClass offers, read our guide, “MasterClass Review”.
If you’re interested in subscribing to MasterClass, you have three payment plans to choose from. In this article, we’ve run down all the MasterClass plans and what they offer you.
We’ve also looked at the pros and cons of subscribing to MasterClass. We hope that now you have a better idea of what to expect for the cost and have decided if the service is truly suitable for you.