Duolingo is one of the most famous and iconic language learning apps on the market. Its logo, a green owl, can be instantly recognized across the globe but do you know how to reset progress on Duolingo? Let’s find out.
If you are trying to learn a new language, Duolingo is one of the best tools to help you achieve this goal.
After all, this app teaches a wide variety of languages, including Spanish, Japanese, and Yiddish.
Thanks to a unique range of educational tools, it can be easy to make progress in the learning of a language.
Yet, if you feel like you need to take a step back, you may want to reset your progress for a language on Duolingo.
To do so, all you need to do is go to the “Settings” section of your account. Continue reading for more details.
How To Reset Progress On Duolingo
Resetting your progress on Duolingo is super simple. It should only take you a couple of minutes. All you have to do is:
Through The App
If you have the Duolingo app on your phone or another device through iOS, follow these steps:
- Open the app on your smart device.
- Tap on the “Profile” button at the bottom of the screen. This will either be a blank avatar or a profile picture that you have chosen.
- Press the “Settings” button. This is represented by a gear icon.
- You will now be presented with a number of options. Scroll until you find the “Manage courses” section. This section will enable you to adjust the settings of your courses.
- Click on the course that you wish to reset. If you are taking multiple language courses, be sure to click on the correct one. Press “Delete course” if you wish to reset it. If you have reconsidered and decided that you wish to persevere with the course, press “Cancel” instead.
Through A Desktop
If you log in to Duolingo through your desktop, you can still reset your progress. However, this will require a slightly different method. To do this, you must:
- Log into Duolingo on your device.
- Click on your “Profile” section, which will be on the top right of your screen and represented by whatever image you chose.
- Find the “Settings” button, which will look like a gear.
- On this menu, press “Learning Language.” This should be on the right-hand side of your screen.
- Then, press “Manage courses” under the blue banner “See all language courses”
- You will now be presented with the list of language courses that you have learned.
- Find the language that you wish to reset. If you wish to delete it and stop learning the language, click “Remove”. If you wish to reset your progress so that you can start from scratch, you should instead select “Reset a course.”
Things To Bear In Mind
Though the process of resetting a Duolingo course is super easy, there are a few things that you must bear in mind. Here are some important warnings that you must consider:
- Once you have deleted a course, this cannot be altered. Your progress will be lost. The only way you can reclaim your progress is to go through the course again.
- Though you can easily re-add languages once you have removed them, the progress still will have been lost. Therefore, you must start from scratch.
- You can complete the same method to delete courses for various base languages. However, in order for you to delete a base language, it usually has to have at least 2 courses.
Why Would You Reset The Progress?
There are a few reasons why language learners may wish to reset their progress.
The main reason is that they wish to complete some of the lessons again.
If you think that you need to brush up on some of the basics of a language, resetting your progress allows you to go through the earlier stages again.
Another reason that you may want to do this is so that someone else can use your Duolingo profile.
For instance, if you have kids that are not yet old enough to have their own smartphones, you can let them use your account.
To do this, you will likely need to reset the progress so that they can go from the beginning.
If there is something that you are struggling with when learning a language, you may want to take a step backward.
Focusing on the simpler elements of a language can help you with the harder parts by boosting your confidence.
Moreover, if you started learning a language a while ago and gave up, resetting the progress will give you a blank slate to learn from. With any luck, you will stick to the language this time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens If You Deactivate Duolingo?
If you deactivate your Duolingo account, you will no longer be able to use this amazing app. This is because you need an account to use it.
If you have signed up for Duolingo Plus, this will not automatically cancel your payments. Instead, you must do this separately.
Once you’ve deactivated the account, your email address and username are reserved. Consequently, other people will not be able to set up an account with these details.
Will You Lose Your Progress If You Delete The Duolingo App?
In the majority of cases, you won’t lose your progress. This is because your work is connected to your account.
This is why people are able to log into their accounts via desktop computers, which preserve the progress of the account holder.
So long as your Duolingo account stays intact, the progress of your language courses should remain the same.
It’s nice to know that you have the option to reset a course on Duolingo. So if you feel like you need a language refresher, you can use the step-by-step guides to reset your progress.
Just ensure that you are certain about your decision, as your progress will forever be lost if you choose to reset a language course!