Duolingo is one of the most popular language-learning tools online. It is a great way to learn languages in a straightforward manner, and its AI technology means that it can keep up with your abilities, so it won’t be too difficult (or too easy) for you to keep up, but do you know how to remove course from Duolingo if you want to remove it.
The best part about learning through Duolingo is that it is, for the most part, completely free to use! There are aspects of the app that require payment, but the actual language-learning parts are free to use, thanks to the use of advertisements.
With over 40 different languages to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which one you want to learn. Perhaps you selected one language initially, but now you have decided that you want to focus on another one.
You can pick several courses to learn at once, but this can be overwhelming. It may be easier to delete a course and continue to move on with a separate language for the time being.
What is a Duolingo Course?
When you join Duolingo (see also ‘How To Join A Class On Duolingo‘), you get to select a course to learn. Each course allows you to learn a different language.
When you first join the course, it will ask you how well you already know this language, so that it can adapt to your capabilities and start teaching you from whichever level you are already on.
You can take various courses at the same time if you would like to. This will mean that you will have countless languages to learn at the same time.
This can be a difficult task, especially if you are not very advanced with any of the chosen courses that you are learning. However, if you are up to the challenge, the option is there for you!
Can You Delete a Course From Duolingo?
If you would like to remove a course from your Duolingo account (see also our guide to resetting Duolingo progress), you can certainly do so. It is fairly straightforward to complete, and shouldn’t take long to do so, either.
The options will be different depending on whether you are accessing your account through a smart device, e.g., your phone, or using a desktop computer.
Can You Recover a Deleted Course From Duolingo?
Unfortunately, once you have deleted/removed a course from your Duolingo account, all your progress will also be deleted. This means that, if you ever want to return to that language, you will need to start all over again.
However, as we mentioned earlier, you can begin at different levels, depending on how fluent you are with that specific language.
So, if you decided to delete your Spanish course after reaching an immediate level, but you, one day, decide that you would like to rejoin that course, you would have to start again.
You can, however, start from an immediate level, as you already know the basics of the language.
Overall, it is much easier to keep a course on a tab, even if you don’t use it much anymore. At least you can always return to that specific course whenever you want to.
How to Remove a Course From Duolingo
The easiest way to do so is to click on this link, and simply follow the instructions provided. You will need to log into your account first, and then you will be able to delete any specific course from your chosen account.
Below, we have also listed a step-by-step guide on how to manually remove a course from your account:
- Before anything else, you will need to make sure that you are logged into your own account. If not, take this time to log in with your personal details, ensuring that you don’t accidentally delete your friend’s courses instead (if they happen to be logged in on your computer or electronic device).
- Once you are logged into your account, hover over your profile picture, and you will notice a menu appear on your screen. From here, you will want to select the “Settings” option.
- Once you have entered your Settings page, you should notice an option titled ‘Learning language’ on the right-hand of the screen, just below your profile picture. Select this option.
- In this next step, you will be able to see each of your chosen courses. Next to each course, there will be a small red icon with a white line passing through it. This is the button you will need to click to remove a specific course.
- Before you make any rash decisions, remember that, once you have removed a course, there is no way to go back and retrieve any progress that you have already made. Think long and hard before deciding to permanently end the course.
- Once you have made your decision, click on the small, red icon next to the course’s name. This will give you the opportunity to either delete the course from your account or reset your progress so that you can start again from the beginning.
- Click on the option that allows you to delete your course from your account. The course will then be removed from the page, and from your account entirely.
Deleting a course from your Duolingo account is fairly easy and straightforward. The hardest part is working out the location of your settings, as they can be found through different links and locations depending on what device you are using.
Overall, it is a quick and easy process, and it shouldn’t take you long to remove your desired course from your account.
We, however, do not recommend deleting any courses unless you are 100% sure that you want to do it. Once you have deleted a course, there is no way to retrieve your previous data or return to the progress you had once made.
We hope you found this article helpful.