If you’re a graphic designer, you’ll know that the industry is filled with unique opportunities to cultivate your creativity, such as when you choose color palettes and get to think out of the box.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, you might want to check out David Carson’s
Is the David Carson
It’s a one-on-one class with the legend, as he gives you insight into his creative journey and offers advice on how others can make a name for themselves.
In order to enjoy this course, you’ll need to purchase a
Read our David Carson
Who Is David Carson?
David Carson is an American contemporary graphic designer with an unconventional style that changed the visual design scene of the 1990s.
Carson was the art director for music magazine Ray Gun and called himself the godfather of grunge topography.
Carson is renowned for his innovative magazine design. For example, he would design distorted and fractured layouts so that people could hardly read the print on them.
Carson’s career as a designer started when he worked for Self and Musician magazine; then he worked for Transworld Skateboarding magazine, which helped him find his experimental approach to design.
In 1984, he became the art director for Transworld Skateboarding. After some more work in the industry, in 1992, he secured his job at Ray Gun, where his potential was acknowledged.
It was Carson who influenced the 90s grunge design trend so that greater focus was paid to less polished and more experimental designs, specifically in advertising and the media.
In 1995, David set up his own company, David Carson Designs, and worked with many famous clients, such as MTV Global, Sony, Armani, Microsoft, and Yale University.
Carson spends his time lecturing around the world about creativity and design. He also has an exciting
Overview of the Class
David Carson is a groundbreaking designer who shares his approach to breaking boundaries in his career in this
This course includes 13 video lessons that make up a total of two hours and seven minutes.
Here is the lesson plan detailing each lesson in this course.
- Meet Your Instructor. David explains his creative work and how his course is focused on challenging conventional design.
- An Intuitive Approach To Design. David shares his guiding principles and encourages viewers to rely on intuition, take risks, and have the mentality of being attuned to unpredictable moments, which enhances one’s work.
- Send a Message with Typography. David shares how he uses typography to bolster his messages. He also explains essential elements of decisions, such as color, font choice, and layout.
- Using Photography in Design. David explains his approach to photography and how it was established in Transworld Skateboarding magazine.
- Put Yourself Into Your Work: Assignment 1: David reviews the work of three designers. This assignment requires people to use the letters of their first name and black and white colors to communicate their personalities.
- Developing a Logo. David shares insight into what makes a logo successful.
- Life as a Working Designer. David gives designers advice, such as the merits of working for free.
- Tap Into the Power of Color: Assignment 2: This is another group session in which David reviews designers’ assignments. This assignment requires them to add color to their work and create a design to reflect how their week is going.
- Collage Art For Designers: David uses different materials to make collages, so he creates collages in real time and talks through his process for making them.
- Working With Clients. David shares his techniques for working with traditional clients.
- Designing Impactful Magazines. David shares information about the editorial work he pioneered at different magazines and how this made him an unpredictable figure in the graphic design field.
- Designing Your Future: Assignment 3. In this assignment, participants remove constraints to display what future they imagine for themselves.
- Make It Happen. David shares a powerful exercise to help you think about your goals and future.
Pros and Cons
Now that we’ve looked at the lessons in the David Carson
- Learning about David Carson’s life and career can be pretty interesting, especially for his fans.
- There are many practical assignments in this course that you can do at home
- You will learn how to deal with clients in a professional way. This helps aspiring designers or designers already working in the industry.
- This design course teaches you how to bring your personality into your designs to make them creative and unique.
- You’ll learn how to make logos powerful, which is valuable for people in many industries, not just graphic designers.
- This design course teaches you the best ways to use color and typography in your designs.
- This course teaches you a fresh perspective on design. It touches upon topics like the correlation between public acceptance and playing it safe.
- David’s design workshops are those that he teaches around the world. This gives you access to David’s material that not everyone has seen.
- David provides workshops in which he critiques the work of graphic designers. This can help you to see his advice in action.
- Although practical, this design
MasterClassdoesn’t provide much technical information.
- If you’re not interested in pursuing a career in design, this course might not be helpful enough for you.
- While this course is inspiring, it might not be ideal for beginner designers who want to learn the rules.
Who Is This Class For?
This class will appeal to many people. While it is focused on design, you can still gain valuable information from it if you’re not in the design field. Here’s who can benefit from the David Carson
- People who want to design a logo for their business.
- People interested in design, whether it’s just a hobby or want to work in the industry.
- People who get inspired by creativity and passion – David Carson offers loads of both.
- People who are fans of David Carson and want to learn more about his career journey and philosophies.
- People who are interested in photography.
How Much Does This Class Cost?
To take this course, you’ll have to purchase a
Your MasterClass subscription will give you access to this design course as well as other courses in various categories, such as wellness, home and lifestyle, business, and science. The lessons are taught by famous, renowned, and talented instructors.
Once you work through the David Carson
To find out more about the content you can enjoy when purchasing a
There have been some comments made about this course, with most being positive.
- “The course is really good in terms of opening your eyes to how you can view design and creativity”.
- “I just finished this course, and it was amazing. Great exercise and super motivating. David Carson is one of the greatest representatives of graphic design”.
If you want to push yourself further in your creative endeavors, you should take this
We also looked at how much a