A popular reason why people subscribe to MasterClass is so that they can enjoy one-on-one lessons with famous, renowned people who inspire them.
If you’re an aspiring singer, the idea of being able to subscribe to a Christina Aguilera MasterClass is probably exciting.
What is the Christina Aguilera MasterClass? Christina Aguilera’s MasterClass teaches singers essential tips that they will be able to use to improve their craft, such as when to project one’s voice and what vocal exercises can benefit them.
With this in mind, you might have questions about this class and if it’s worth it. Read on to get our complete Christina Aguilera MasterClass review.
Who Is Christina Aguilera?
Christina Aguilera is an American pop singer who rose to fame in 1993 and 1994 by joining Disney’s The New Mickey Mouse Club.
When she released her self-titled debut album in 1999, it became a chart-topper on the Billboard pop charts and even won Christina a Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 1999.
Christina is responsible for releasing many popular hits over the years, such as “Genie in a Bottle,” “What a Girl Wants,” and “Come on Over Baby.”
Throughout her career thus far, Christina has released eight studio albums, and she’s sold more than 36 million albums globally. She’s also won five Grammys and has been nominated for a Grammy 20 times.
Singing aside, Christina was a mentor and coach on The Voice, a singing competition, for several years.
Overview of the Class
In the Masterclass entitled “Christina Aguilera Teaches Singing,” Christina Aguilera teaches members valuable technique-related tips on improving one’s singing ability and bringing passion to songs.
The class provides a total of 3 hours and 43 minutes of lessons as well as vocal exercises. There are 23 video lessons in total.
These lessons include practical singing tips and other valuable lessons on confidence, getting into the right frame of mind for hitting high notes, and finding sources of inspiration.
Here is a bit more detail about what you can expect from the 23 video lessons:
- Introduction: Christina Aguilera introduces herself as your instructor.
- Christina’s inspiration: Learn who inspired Christina in her music journey and how to find your own sources of inspiration.
- Warming up: This class teaches you how to protect your vocal cords. Christina will show you warmups and exercises you can use.
- Protecting your voice: Christina offers tips on the most important things to avoid that can harm your voice, how to adjust to different environments, and how to heal a strained voice.
- Range: Christina teaches you how to expand your vocal range and hit high notes in this class.
- Student sessions: Pop style: This class features Christina giving students critiques so you can learn how to change your vocal placement and posture to give your performance a greater dimension.
- Student sessions: Simplify: Christina coaches a student on projection and gives members an essential vocal technique that helps them connect emotionally with their audiences.
- Student sessions: Rock style: Christina teaches the technique she uses to achieve a gritty style in some of her songs. She also critiques a pop vocalist to show how attitude and grit can make a pop song gain more of a rock style.
- Diction: Christina advises students to forget the idea of sounding polished and instead use diction and enunciation to tell a story in a more powerful way.
- Mastering vocal techniques: Christina teaches harmony, vibrato, belting, and slides. She gives you step-by-step instructions on how to achieve these.
- Playing with textures and tones: Christina teaches members how to use different textures and tones, such as haunting sadness or gritty growls.
- Duets Part 1: Rehearsal prep: Christina teaches members how to find the right duet partner, how to perfect your timing with them while singing, and how to deal with the rehearsal process.
- Duets Part 2: Perfecting the Performance: This class teaches you how to break down the timing, emotion, and pitch you need to keep your audience captivated.
- The beat: Christina plays with tempo and beat to give a new lease of life to songs.
- Live microphones: Christina teaches essential mic techniques.
- Studio microphones: Christina teaches the differences between studio time and live performances. She also gives insight into the microphone techniques she’s developed in her career and performs “Beautiful,” one of her most iconic songs.
- Performance anxiety: Christina teaches aspiring musicians how to center themselves and deal with pre-performance nerves.
- Singing it live: Christina teaches you how to turn a studio performance into an outstanding live performance. She performs her song “Fighter.”
- Overcoming mistakes: Christina shares some of her most challenging career mistakes and how aspiring musicians can overcome them.
- Advice for artists: Christina shares advice on how to find yourself as an artist, adjust to having a successful career and ignore haters.
- Self-expression: Christina teaches how to use art to express your voice while dealing with others’ opinions. She also reflects on how she challenged sexual norms and shame with her powerful music.
- Christina’s journey: Christina shares essential lessons in this class that she’s learned in her music career.
- Closing: Christina teaches aspiring singers how to own difficult moments and pursue their dreams.
Some of the main things you’ll learn in this MasterClass include:
- How to warm up your voice for different scenarios.
- How to protect your voice.
- How to expand your vocal range.
- How to choose the right microphone.
- How to achieve vibrato, ad-libs, and belting.
- How to learn diction.
- You’ll also gain insights into Christina’s life as an artist.
Pros and Cons
Now that we’ve looked at what the video lessons entail let’s explore some pros and cons of this MasterClass.
- This MasterClass provides a valuable yet practical workbook with exercises you can use.
- The video lessons have been produced to look like they’re part of a movie, which gives them a professional feel that also sets them apart from other online vocal courses.
- At the end of a lesson, there’s a discussion section so you can interact with other people who are also taking the class.
- Christina gives valuable insights into how she’s evolved as a singer over the years.
- Christina teaches members how to perform live, such as when it comes to handling stage fright.
- There are lessons in which Christina spends time with aspiring singers who ask her questions about singing, such as how to hit softer notes.
- Some of Christina’s advice isn’t wholly beginner-friendly, as it feels most relatable if you’re already a singer.
- You might require some technical experience before being able to gain lots of benefits from this MasterClass.
Who Is This Class For?
If you’re an aspiring singer, you will benefit from learning important advice and doing the exercises in these lessons that can help you to gain more skills.
If you’re not a singer but are interested in learning more about Christina Aguilera’s career, you might enjoy taking this MasterClass. Purchasing a MasterClass subscription will also enable you to enjoy other classes.
To learn more about what MasterClass offers, read our guide, “Best MasterClass Courses“.
However, unless you’re serious about singing and learning from one of the best in business, you might not find the class worth the price. For example, you won’t be able to benefit from lessons such as how to sing duets or choose the best microphone.
How Much Does the MasterClass Cost?
While there was talk about the Christina Aguilera MasterClass costing $90, on the MasterClass website page, it’s clear to see that you’ll have to pay $180 to access it. This does, however, grant you access to all the other MasterClass courses that are on offer.
Some users have reported satisfaction with Christina Aguilera’s vocal teaching but stated she doesn’t go deeply into the techniques required to learn how to sing. One Reddit user writes, “She demonstrates what she can do, but in no way articulates it.”
It’s important also to note that while it’s said that this MasterClass can be used for learning any genre of music, one can’t deny that the focus is on rock and pop. Christina also performs her songs.
Others have said that doing the MasterClass is an excellent accompaniment to vocal training. You can still enjoy the course even if you’re not a professional singer.
If you appreciate good singing, you’ll want to see Christina in action as she belts out excellent notes.
Taking the Christina Aguilera MasterClass might not be beginner-friendly enough if you’re just starting to learn how to sing.
However, if you have some experience with singing and would love to sharpen your skills and learn new techniques, it’s certainly worth the cost.