If you’re a dog owner, you know you have to spend time and effort to have it trained.
Instead of hiring a local dog trainer, which can be expensive, you might prefer to learn from experts like Brandon McMillan, a celebrity dog training expert. The good news is that he’s got a MasterClass course to help you train your dog effectively.
What is the Brandon McMillan MasterClass? This practical, advice-based MasterClass provides you with video lessons in which you can learn how to train your dog yourself, making use of Brandon’s valuable tips and expertise.
The following Brandon McMillan MasterClass review is to find out everything you need to know. We’ll break down what you can expect from the class, its pros and cons, and how much it costs.
Who Is Brandon McMillan?
Brandon McMillan is a celebrity dog trainer who won an Emmy for the CBS TV show Lucky Dog, in which animal trainers rescue challenging dogs and transform them via training so that they can become beloved pets.
Brandon has many years of experience as a wild animal trainer and developed what he calls a Hybrid System in which he uses that knowledge to apply it to dog training.
Brandon’s love for animals dates back to his family life, as he was born into a family of animal entertainers and trainers. He has been working with domestic and wild animals throughout his life.
He’s also trained animals for more than 300 Hollywood productions and privately trained celebrity pets.
Brandon is the co-founder of Argus Service Dog Foundation, which matches service dogs with disabled veterans.
Overview of the Class
This MasterClass with Brandon McMillan provides 15 lessons, and in total, they consist of two hours and 58 minutes of viewing content. Here is the course lesson plan.
- Meet your instructor: Brandon McMillan: This is an introductory episode where you’ll meet Brandon and learn what the course entails.
- Variables that make your dog unique: These include factors such as your dog’s breed and age.
- Trust & groundwork for training: Learn how leadership, exercise, and socialization can help you build a healthy relationship with your dog.
- Training foundations & the 7 common commands: Brandon explores the principles you need to focus on before every dog-training session: mental preparation and control-train-treat techniques for your dog.
- Signaling commands & leash techniques: This class teaches the importance of combining verbal commands with hand signals. It also teaches you better grip and leash techniques when walking your dog.
- Sit: This is the most basic dog command that Brandon makes easier to learn.
- Down: This teaches your dog how to make him stay down.
- Stay: The “stay” skill is important and can save your dog’s life.
- No: Not only can this command save your dog, but it also forms part of basic respect and prevents unwanted behavior.
- Off: Whether you want to prevent dogs from jumping on people or furniture in the house, teaching them the “Off” command is beneficial.
- Come: It’s essential to teach your dog to come to you from any distance, as this ensures you can keep your dog safe wherever you are.
- Heel: Teaching your dog to heel makes your daily walks together feel more fun instead of like a struggle. This video lesson shows you how to ensure your dog matches your pace.
- Behavior: Housebreaking: Brandon teaches simple training that your dog can learn within a week or two.
- Behavior: Door dashing: This lesson teaches you how to prevent your dogs from dashing for the door when it opens, which will keep them safe.
- Behavior: Digging, chewing, barking: In this class, Brandon teaches you how to overcome common dog-related behavioral problems, such as barking, digging, or chewing.
As you can see from the class titles and their descriptions, this MasterClass provides simple yet effective dog-training techniques that anyone can use to help them develop better trust with and control over their dogs.
Training your dog and correcting their behavior will also help you to build a lifelong bond with your pets.
Some of the most memorable Brandon McMillan quotes from this course include the following:
- “When you learn these things, you’ll not only have a well-trained dog, but you’ll have a best friend who trusts and loves you and will be there with you through thick and thin.”
- “There are no untrainable dogs, just untrained humans.”
Pros and Cons
Now that we’ve looked at the course overview let’s explore some specific pros and cons.
- Brandon displays dog-training techniques with different dog breeds so that the information is versatile and includes a variety of dogs.
- The MasterClass provides you with a 35-page workbook that features additional information which wasn’t included in the video lessons.
- At the end of every video lesson, Brandon gives you highlights of the most important points that were featured.
- Brandon’s teaching style is direct, simple, and straightforward, so the techniques are easy to comprehend.
- Brandon uses positive reinforcement in his dog training instead of punishment.
- Brandon has a deep knowledge of dogs and how they think, making it easier to understand how to train them.
- Not all common behavioral problems are featured in these training videos.
- You will require some essential supplies to train your dog according to Brandon’s techniques, such as crates and a Martingale dog collar.
- Emphasis is made on training puppies instead of fully-grown dogs.
- Some people have noted that the MasterClass doesn’t end with a conclusion, which feels a bit strange.
Who Is This Class For?
The Brandon McMillan MasterClass is ideal for all dog owners who want to teach their dogs to obey them and learn important socialization techniques.
It’s also good for dog owners who want to train their dogs but don’t want to spend a lot of money on hiring a dog trainer. By accessing these dog-training lessons, you’ll be able to view them wherever you are from your devices.
Finally, if you’re a Brandon McMillan fan who’s enjoyed his TV show and books, you’ll be interested in taking this MasterClass to learn more about his dog-training techniques.
How Much Does The Class Cost?
If you want to access the Brandon McMillan Masterclass, you’ll have to sign up for a MasterClass subscription. This costs $180 per year and gives you access to over 150 other classes on a variety of topics.
Although it’s unfortunate that MasterClass doesn’t allow members to purchase individual courses, there are different payment plans to make the subscription more convenient: the Individual, Duo, and Family plans.
To find out more about these, read our guide, “MasterClass Pricing”.
Although a MasterClass subscription might seem expensive, it grants you instant access to the Brandon McMillan course as well as many others in different categories, such as wellness, science and tech, music, and more.
Read our article, “Best MasterClass Courses”, to find out what some of the most engaging and powerful courses are that you can take on the platform.
There have been many positive comments made about this MasterClass from users across the web. Here’s just a glimpse of the positive feedback online:
- “This MasterClass is awesome! My pets have made great progress with the valuable things I’ve learned in each lesson”.
- “Your class was worth the ENTIRE annual membership for Masterclass. Thank you”.
- “We have been watching your masterclass, and it is AMAZING. Within 2 weeks, our 3 months old puppy sits, goes down, stays, respects the “no” command, doesn’t jump, and more (heel and fetch, for example). Your classes are simple yet so complete. Best money spent ever!”
If you own dogs, you know how important it is to train them. It’s not always easy to do, and some strategies you think are useful might not actually be good for your dog. This is why we recommend taking the Brandon McMillan MasterClass course.
If you’re on the fence about taking it, you have all the information at your disposal to help you make the best decision right here, including an overview of the course, pros and cons, and price.